Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Spicy Apricot-Glazed Chicken

I am not usually a fan of mixing fruit (or nuts, for that matter) with my dinner. To me, fruit is a sweet and best eaten either as a snack or with lots of sugar and/or chocolate in a dessert! But I saw this recipe in this month's Everyday Food magazine and realized I had some leftover apricot jam in the fridge from a dessert made long ago.

And to be honest, I was fairly pleased with the result. Actually, I would have preferred more apricot flavor; so next time I make this I will either pound the chicken thinner so as to make the chicken to glaze ratio smaller, or just save some extra sauce to serve alongside. If you use thinner pieces of chicken, make sure to adjust the cooking time so you don't overcook it.

Spicy Apricot-Glazed Chicken
Everyday Food
Makes 4 servings

1/4 cup apricot jam
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
coarse salt and ground pepper

Heat broiler to high, with rack set 4 inches from heat. In small bowl, stir together jam and red pepper flakes; set glaze aside.

Place chicken on aluminum-foil lined baking sheet (or broiler pan, or wire rack on cookie sheet). Broil until chicken begins to turn opaque, 5 to 6 minutes.

Brush glaze on chicken. Broil until glaze is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F, 4 to 5 minutes more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely fabulous! I was JUST thinking of doing a spicy honey chicken like this, but I love the apricot preserves idea much, much more!

Mollie said...

My mom used to make a recipe sort of like this - it was russian dressing (the non creamy kind), apricot jam and a packet of lipton soup mix. It's waaayyyy too aunt sandy for my tastes now, but this looks like a great alternative...