Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pumpkin White-Chocolate Chip Scones

Before you say anything, I know that there are regular chocolate chips in these scones. This was a decide-the-day-of baked good, and all I had were mini-chocolate chips that were hanging out in my pantry. But you should really use white chocolate chips if you are going to make this for the first time. I never thought of white chocolate and pumpkin as a tasty combination but OH MY it is good.

And don't be afraid of making scones, either. These are super easy and if you use cold enough butter and enough flour while you are kneading the dough, these will come out great. Use a very sharp knife to cut them into scone shape and don't worry about them being pretty - they will be good regardless!

I used my other little measuring cup from Mollie, too!
Pumpkin White-Chocolate Chip Scones
Makes 8 scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light or dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
1/3 cup buttermilk
½ cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the egg wash:
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon milk or cream
Preheat the oven to 400° F and place a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.

I told you that you would need a pastry blender!

Stir in the white chocolate. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla, and then add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix the dough.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round. Cut the circle into eight equal triangles. Place the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash.

Place the baking sheet inside another baking sheet to prevent the bottoms of the scones from over browning. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

9 comments:

Celeste said...

These look really, really yummy! My husband loves scones...I need to try these!

Unknown said...

Now these I must admit sure are different!Would never have thought of pumpkin & white chocolate together.:)

Anonymous said...

OH! You are KILLING me! These looks fabulous in every way! I'm a sucker for scones.

BMK said...

I made these last year!! They are super yummy!

Cate said...

Wow I need to make these this weekend!

Carrie said...

I made scones once that did NOT turn out, I need to try again.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

They look fabulous and the pumpkin dish is super cute too!

Mollie said...

Doesn't Alton's little face make everything more fun? :) These look great. I LOVE pumpkin and dark chocolate so much, but I'll trust you on the white chocolate! They look great.

Bobi Jensen said...

Hey, I found your blog through a google search for just this thing. I have all kinds of pumpkin cravings this time of year. They are in the oven! The smell of the dough was incredible!