Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Creamy Cajun Shrimp Linguine

This was one of those dishes where I realized the improvements that could be made after we tasted it. So my recipe below shows the changes I made to begin with as well as the changes I will make next time to make it better.

That being said, this dish came together very quickly. I started to boil the water for the pasta and shrimp when turned on the skillet for the vegetables and all of a sudden the veggies were done and I was still waiting for my water to boil! I used fat free half and half, so of course the end result would be creamier with regular, but it was still rather tasty with the low fat version!

Creamy Cajun Shrimp Linguine
adapted from Cooking Light
Makes 4 servings

8 ounces uncooked linguine
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
about 6 slices bacon or turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 (8 ounce) package presliced mushrooms
7 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced or 1 large red pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Bring medium pot of water to boil. Add linguine and cook 5 minutes. Add shrimp to pot and cook 3 more minutes. Drain and keep warm.

Melt butter in large skillet. Add roasted red peppers and mushrooms; saute 4 minutes or until moisture evaporates.

Add flour, seasoning, and salt to pan; saute 30 seconds. Stir in half-and-half; cook one minute or more until sauce thickens, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Add pasta mixture, bacon, and parsley to pan; stirring to combine.

8 comments:

susan said...

it looks so delicious AND it's low in fat? aw man, gotta get me some! :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! You KNOW I'm a sucker for spicy pastas! This looks SOOOO good! Seriously starring this bad boy! YUM!

Cate said...

Ooh this looks awesome! I'm looking for fast meals now that my life is totally hectic...I'll add this to my list!

RecipeGirl said...

I sounds delicious... I know what you mean about those changes. I always change everything up in my head to do for the next attempt!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Good to know the fat free version had great results! This looks delicious and I love how its a bit healthier than traditional recipes :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Shrimp and pasta is always delicious!

Cara said...

I have had this starred for a looong time and am finally making it tonight. I have turkey sausages to use up (sweet kind)--do you think they would work in this? That's my plan, anyway...

Colleen said...

@ Cara - i don't know if I am too late but I think the sausage would be delicious! just crumble and brown it in the skillet first thing, then remove and cook the veggies in the oil and burned bits left from that. Yum!