Friday, September 12, 2008

Blondies

While I was growing up, my mother cooked a delicious meal every night so that our family of five could eat together. And then she baked dessert so often that, spoiled brats that we were, after dinner our standard question was, "So what's for dessert?" And if the answer was nothing, we would whine and complain that she should have made something.

Now that I am older, with my own house (and not even any kids running around yet), I realize what a feat it is to put a full dinner on the table for any number of people, and the fact that she made dessert makes the memories even more special. If you asked me to make a Top 10 list of desserts that remind me of my childhood, this would be right at the top.

The brown sugar and butter flavor is so gooey and delicious, and add-in anything you want: Heath bits, nuts, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips; the list can go on and on. Everyone has a blondie recipe, but this one wins my vote! And thanks, Mom!

Blondies
from Jo's kitchen
Makes 24 bars

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chips, nuts, etc.

Preheat over to 350 degrees F.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Set aside.

Melt butter in large bowl (either in 15 second increments in the microwave, or over a double boiler). Remove from heat, stir in brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, stir until combined.

Stir in dry ingredients and chips. Pour mixture into greased 13"x9" baking dish.

Bake for 20 -25 minutes until toothpick inserted into bars comes out almost clean.

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks like a great recipe and the additional mix in ideas sound wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I remember dinners at your house differently...dessert?? lol

Katie said...

I love blondies! And brownies, too. Anything bar-shaped, actually =]

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! Those look delicious! :)