Sunday, September 21, 2008

Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars

Ok, last recipe from Penn State. I have made these bars before and YUM, they are delicious! Chocolate, peanut butter, and marshmallows can't really be combined in one recipe and NOT taste good. They travel well and are easy to make, so they are the perfect football dessert! They do taste better chilled though (so the topping stays hard), so make sure you have enough cooler space if you decide to make them for your own tailgate!

I apologize for the lack of "finished product" photos - I guess that's what happens when you are cutting them into bars at 5:30AM while trying to get out the door. These are very rich, so while I specify that the recipe makes 24 bars, I actually cut each of those in half to make 48. I used a 13x9" baking dish instead, so all times in parentheses apply to that size dish.
Also, I wanted to show you all something Mollie sent to me after I wrote that I did not like using peanut butter because of how messy it is. This little guy is GREAT. You just move the contraption to the amount you need, spoon your ingredient into the space, and push it through. Nothing sticks on the sides and you aren't left with a spatula full of peanut butter. Genius!

Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
Makes 24 bars
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional (I omitted these)
4 cups miniature marshmallows
Topping:
1 1/3 cups chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups crisp rice cereal
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture.

Stir in nuts if desired. Spread in a greased 15 x 10 x 1″ pan. (13x9") Bake for 15-18 (20-25) minutes.

This is only the beginning of the 3-layer deliciousness.
Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over cake; return to oven for 2-3 (5) minutes.

Using a knife dipped in water, spread the melted marshmallows evenly over cake. Cool completely.

For topping, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and well blended.

Remove from heat; stir in cereal. Immediately spread over bars. Chill until ready to eat!

4 comments:

Mollie said...

Yay! I'm so glad it has come in handy! I love mine and find myself using it all the time. And those bars look insanely good!

Anonymous said...

Aren't these the best? I have a friend who calls them "crack bars!" Glad you liked them!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE marshmallow! Those look so good! mmmmm!! And I've ALWAYS wanted one of those measuring tools Alton has. I may have to cave and get one soon.

Romantic Dinner said...

I am so exited and glad after see this post I think this is perfect.