Saturday, September 6, 2008

Crash Hot Potatoes

My creativity has been lacking lately in the side dish department. I feel like all we have is either roasted potatoes or rice, and roasted or steamed broccoli or asparagus. This recipe has been floating around quite a bit on The Nest so I figured I would try it. And yes, these potatoes are roasted, but they were definitely different from the ones I usually make.

Since I was making these for just the two of us and trying to watch fat content (at least on a weeknight!); I did not use nearly enough olive oil to do the Pioneer Woman proud. I could definitely tell that if I used the generous amount of oil she calls for, it would take them to another level. That being said, these were so delicious that they have been added as a staple side in this household.

I used chives because that went better with what I was serving these with, but I can't wait to try out other herbs in the future. I was also too cheap to buy new potatoes for a "school-night" dinner so I just looked for the smallest white baking potatoes possible, cut them in half, and put them flesh side down on the baking sheet.

Crash Hot Potatoes
Pioneer Woman
Makes as much as you want!

new potatoes (or any other small round potatoes)
olive oil
kosher salt
black pepper
rosemary (or desired herb)

Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add in as many potatoes as you wish to make and cook them until they are fork-tender (about 15-20 minutes depending on the size).

On a sheet pan, generously drizzle olive oil. Place tender potatoes on the cookies sheet leaving plenty of room between each potato.

With a potato masher, gently press down each potato until it slightly mashes, rotate the potato masher 90 degrees and mash again. Brush the tops of each crushed potato generously with more olive oil.

Sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh chopped rosemary (or chives or thyme or whatever herb you have available).

Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look sooooooo good! I'm totally a potato-whore though. YUM!