Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lemon Chicken

Susan Branch seriously writes the cutest cookbooks. They are all written in her handwriting, and she has pretty artwork surrounding every recipe. She gives tips on all sort of things around the house, and her recipes just make you want to move to a little cottage and make them all!

This recipe was a nice, classic dish. It is from her Heart of the Home cookbook. I have made a few adaptations in order to bring the serving sizes down and use a wee bit less butter than she calls for!

You will see that my sauce at the end looks more like a pesto than a sauce. That is because I used even less butter than I indicate below, but next time I will use the full amount! Chuck commented on the lemony flavor and really enjoyed this.

Lemon Chicken
adapted from Susan Branch
Makes 2 servings with leftovers

1 pound chicken scallopini, or 1 pound chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper

Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Wipe off chicken breasts with damp paper towel. Put flour and pinch of salt and pepper in large resealable plastic bag and drop the breasts in. Shake to coat.

Melt butter and oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in skillet and cook approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.

When they are done, salt and pepper them and place in oven-proof dish. Keep warm in a 250 degree oven while you make the sauce (or just cover them with foil if you are serving immediately).

To make the sauce, add the 2 tablespoons butter to the chicken skillet, and melt; scraping up all the brown bits in the pan. Remove from heat; add parsley and lemon juice. Pour hot sauce over breasts and serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lemon + chicken = best flavor combo ever! I like how different this recipe is from my norm, though. Looks great!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

When I was into scrapbooking, I was a big fan of Susan Branch. I never would have thought to try out any of her recipes and I'm so glad you tried this one - it looks fabulous!