Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Greek Pasta (variation)

Do you have a "recipe book"? You know, the book where only the most favorite, most unanimously approved, and most delicious recipes go? I do not have one yet - I make too many new things each week, and only have Chuck and I to really determine if they are good or not. So basically, anything that we decide isn't horrific makes it's way back into my recipe file.

My dear friend, Rita, on the other hand, has a BOOK. One that has been in the works for many years and that she, her husband, and three daughters have had to approve recipes for. I have been very fortunate that Rita shared her book with me and I subsequently copied down many, many recipes that I have made, and will make in the future.

The following recipe is from Rita's recipe book, with a few minor adaptations; including adding meat so that my husband will consider it a square meal (well, me too, who am I kidding?). All in all, a terrific flavor to this dish, with the option to add or subtract or change the quantities of items your family may or may not like.

When I do start a book, this is one of the first recipes to go in it. :)

Greek Pasta (variation)
adapted from Rita
Makes 4 servings

1/2 lb. hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 medium Vidalia (or sweet) onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
8 ounce package baby bella mushrooms
5 ounces baby spinach, rinsed and stems removed
3/4 lb. penne pasta
crumbled feta cheese (optional)

Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove to plate.

Reduce heat to medium and add more olive oil to hot skillet if needed. Add onions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.

Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and basil, bring to a simmer.

Add mushrooms and return to a simmer, lower heat and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add sausage and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.

Don't you worry, because this...

...turns into this in about 2 minutes!

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 10 minutes.

Spoon sauce over pasta. Top with feta cheese if desired.

6 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This dish looks great and captures a lot of those classic greek flavors!

BMK said...

That recipe definitely looks like a keeper! Great flavor combinations. I have a book and I'm really picky about which recipes make it in as "keepers."

Anonymous said...

This looks even BETTER than it sounded yesterday. YUM! I starred to try! looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this looks delish! And healthy too...

we food bloggers should start a recipe book of our own...a collection of our best stuff...!

Cate said...

This looks completely awesome!

Mollie said...

This looks great - I'm addicted to feta these days!