Monday, September 8, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

Now that school has started, there is really no need for me to keep wishing that summer hang on a little longer. So despite the 90 degree temperatures we had here last week, I decided to make some pumpkin bread to help usher in some fall weather!

To do this I turned to my favorite "basics" cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens . This bread is so easy to make, and makes two loaves out of one can of pumpkin, with lots of spicy pumpkin flavor. And of course it uses the twin fall dessert spices: cinnamon and nutmeg.
I have also made this recipe into muffins. It makes three dozen regular size muffins, and they take about a third of the baking time it takes your oven to make the bread. Now just imagine the leaves turning colors...

Pumpkin Bread
Makes 2 loaves
3 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil (vegetable or canola)
4 eggs
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup water
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of two 9x5x3-inch, three 8x4x2-inch, or four 7-1/2x3 1/2-x2-inch loaf pans; set aside. In a very large mixing bowl beat sugar and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs and beat well; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture and water alternately to sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat in pumpkin. Spoon batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.

8 comments:

~Amber~ said...

I love Pumpkin bread, yours looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous! I LOOOOOVE a good pumpkin bread

BMK said...

Your post makes me ready to go buy several cans of pumpkin! I've made this recipe before and its really good.

Melissa said...

I've never tried pumpkin bread - it looks so good!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

The color is gorgeous! Great job and what a perfect way to welcome the fall season...

Anonymous said...

Do you think I could freeze a loaf I just made and bring it out in November? If so, what should I wrap it in? Is saran wrap or tinfoil ok?

Colleen said...

Jenn,
You can definitely wrap and freeze one. I like to wrap tightly in foil then put it in a freezer-safe ziploc bag.

PColtharp said...

My wife makes this bread every year. Super recipe!