Monday, September 29, 2008

Fall Harvest Bread

This bread is SO good. I made it several times last fall/winter and whenever someone tried it for the first time they loved it as much as I did. I make it exactly the way Katie has it on her blog, and it fills my house with a fantastic baking aroma.

Despite the fact that it only has 1/4 cup of oil in it, this bread is very moist because of the pumpkin and applesauce. So that leads me to believe it's fairly healthy for as well (so eat a lot!).

This bread only cooks for 55 minutes in my oven so check it after 50 minutes or so depending on your oven. Also, I would save peeling and cutting the apple until right before you add it to the batter so it doesn't brown.

Fall Harvest Bread
from Good Things Catered
Makes 1 loaf

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 can (or 7.5 ounces) canned pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup apple juice
1 small apple (I like granny smith) peeled, cored, and diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x5 loaf pan (or can sub muffin pan or double recipe for cake/bundt pan) with Pam with flour for baking -- or grease and flour.

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil, applesauce, and juice in large bowl. Mix until just blended.

Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared pan (it will be all lumpy - don't worry).

Bake for 60-70 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!!! I need to make this again. You make it sound so fabulous!

Pam said...

Delicious. It's a cloudy day today - perfect for making a delicous pumpkin bread. I am sure you house smelled so good while this was baking.

Shari said...

Oh, I`d like a piece of that right now!!