Saturday, September 6, 2008

Broccoli and Pork Stir-Fry

So I have had this bottle of rice vinegar sitting in my fridge for awhile now:

This is not an ingredient I use often, so when I saw this recipe in Everyday Food this month, I decided to try it. I really like using pork tenderloin in things (in fact, it's one of the only cuts of pork I like at this moment in time), and broccoli always sounds good to me, so that cemented it's place on our weekly menu.

This dish was fairly easy to prep and cook - although all of my cooking times were a few minutes longer than detailed in the original recipe below. I browned my pork on both sides before taking it out of the pan the first time, since the low cooking time made me nervous. I also used only broccoli crowns and the green parts of the scallions.

The orange zest and juice really add a lot to the flavor of this dish. However, not being the fruit-at-dinner lover myself, next time I may reduce the orange juice by half and sub more soy sauce in there. I served this over brown rice.

Broccoli and Pork Stir-Fry

Everyday Food, September 2008

Makes 4 servings

1 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
1 head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into bite-size florets, stalks peeled and thinly sliced

In a medium bowl, combine orange zest and juice, soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch; set stir-fry sauce aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Working in two batches, cook pork until browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes (pork will cook more in step 4). Transfer to a plate and set aside; reserve skillet.

Add remaining teaspoon oil, garlic, and scallion whites to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until scallions wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broccoli and 1/2 cup water; cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender and water has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes.

Add pork (with any juices) and stir-fry sauce to skillet. Cook, stirring, until pork is cooked through and sauce has thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Top with scallion greens.

No comments: