Thursday, September 11, 2008

Roasted Herb Mahi Mahi BLTs

I wanted to make one last dish that was "summery" in feel before the soups and stews start coming out. I saw this recipe a loooong time ago on Dinners for a Year and Beyond and it looked like a good choice. When Chuck sat down the table he said he felt like he was at TGIFriday's with the enormous sandwich and the stuffed zucchini I served on the side!

I had tilapia in the freezer so used that instead of the mahi mahi, and cut all ingredient amounts in half since I was only making two sandwiches. If you like mayo though, I would suggest making more than you think you will need, especially if you are using thick, crusty rolls. And, as always, use more bacon if you would like - you can never have too much bacon.

Amy instructs you to roast the fish on parchment paper drizzled with olive oil. I used my trusty standby, Reynolds Non-Stick Foil, and everything was fine. I also did not grind the herbs together, I just sprinkled them over the fish and then sprinkled them into the mayo dressing to taste.


Roasted Herb Mahi Mahi BLTs
Dinners for a Year and Beyond
Makes 4 servings

4 (6 ounce) pieces of mahi mahi
olive oil
1 teaspoon basil, dried
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 cup mayo
2 teaspoons capers
squeeze of lemon juice
4 whole wheat buns
8 slices of bacon, cooked
4 large slice of tomatoes
4 large lettuce leaves, I used romaine

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place the mahi mahi and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with half of the spice mixture. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the mayo, capers, lemon juice, and remaining spice mixture in a small bowl. Stir well. Remove the mahi mahi from the oven. To make each sandwich, slather both sides of the bun with the herb mayo and top with a piece of mahi mahi, 2 slices of bacon, a tomato slice and a lettuce leaf. Top with remaining bun and eat.

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great variation on traditional BLTS! I'm always looking for new tasty ways to use fish like tilapia... I love this idea!

amycaseycooks said...

Your sandwiches look great! We eat tilapia often - it is so versatile. I am glad you liked the recipe. It makes blogging all worthwhile when I know others like you are enjoying my recipes. Take care.

Anonymous said...

You sure it was tilapia, and not chicken?

I'm sorry...I had to!

They look fantastic and I would like to take a bite out of one right now. :)

Anonymous said...

I made this last night with haddock. My husband and I enjoyed it very much. It's quite a big meal - I couldn't finish my sandwich. This one is a keeper!