Sunday, May 31, 2009

Basic Shortcakes

I really like to make shortcakes, especially in the spring and summer because I love using fresh fruit with them, especially strawberries or any other kind of berry. This recipe is another great one from Catherine, one of my teachers at cooking class.

I managed to figure out the amount of ingredients needed to only make 1/3 of the recipe, but I gave you the original below. I did slightly adapt how to form the shortcakes, since I like them more free-form and Catherine's way was very precise (or you could read: I couldn't manage to roll the dough out into a nice rectangle so this is what I did). Slice each shortcake in half, like a sandwich roll, and fill with whipped cream and berries.


Basic Shortcakes
from Catherine Titus Felix at Classic Thyme
makes 12 shortcakes

2 1/4 cups bleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in food processor and pulse. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles cornmeal with a few split pea size crumbs of butter. Add buttermilk and pulse to distribute. Only pulse until mixture is very crumbly and sticky, not until a cohesive dough forms.

Transfer dough out onto a floured surface. Pat into a rough 9" x 12" rectangle. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake in center of the oven about 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned.

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Coleen- This looks scrumptious.. I usually make the bisquick(gasp) version of shortcakes. Ill have to try this one.

Maria said...

One of my favorites. I always load on tons of berries!

elly said...

These look so great. I LOVE strawberry shortcake. Mmm.

Anonymous said...

Strawberry shortcake is a classic summer dessert, yum!

Rachel said...

I'm not a huge dessert fan, but my husband would go crazy over this! I'm going to bookmark it and try it out the next time we have people over!

amycaseycooks said...

My all time favorite dessert!! I would order/make shortcakes every night.

I have been meaning to try cooking classes at Gourmet Thyme - I am excited to look into their classes.