Saturday, May 9, 2009

Baked Orzo with Shrimp, Tomato Sauce, and Feta

This is a very tasty little weeknight dinner to whip up in less than a half hour (plus cooking time). Even Chuck, who doesn't like feta, enjoyed this, because the feta melts while baking so his whole "texture" thing doesn't apply here. That makes me very happy since I LOVE feta! It accents a very nice shrimp and tomato mixture highlighted by the onions, garlic and different herbs and spices that are added.

Changes I have made from the original recipe include reducing the amounts so I didn't make too much for us, as well as omitting the Kalamata olives since Chuck doesn't like those either (I really need to work on his tastebuds, huh?). But it's all there in the link - enjoy!

Baked Orzo with Shrimp, Tomato Sauce, and Feta
amounts adapted from Gourmet Magazine
Makes 4 servings

1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
pinch of dried hot red pepper flakes (or more to your taste!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1/2 can (28- to 32-oz) crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound large shrimp (about 18), shelled and deveined
8 ounces orzo
kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 pound feta, patted dry and crumbled (1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add wine and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and salt, then reduce heat and simmer briskly, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir shrimp into sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain orzo VERY carefully (a fine-mesh sieve helps). Return orzo to pot and toss with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil.

Add orzo into sauce with shrimp and mix gently. Add reserved cooking water as needed (I only use about 2 tablespoons). Season with salt and pepper if necessary.

Spoon half of pasta into prepared baking dish, then sprinkle with half of feta. Top with remaining pasta and feta, then bake in middle of oven, uncovered, until cheese is slightly melted and pasta is heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.

8 comments:

BMK said...

This looks really delicious! I can't get my DH to eat olives either :(

Dewi said...

Fantastic dish Coleen, love both combination of Orzo and the shrimps. It just simply delicious.

Kerstin said...

You had me at feta - I just love it :) Looks like a lovely dish!

Kanella said...

I love feta as well. This looks very good and you really can't go wrong with orzo and shrimp.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I'm always looking for easy quick dishes and this one fills the bill. We're crazy about shrimp and I've started to use orzo more and more. Thanks for this terrific recipe.
Sam

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

I'm the same way, leave out the olives for me!

This looks great, I'm pretty sure I will be having this on my menu for next week.

Thanks for sharing.

I make and orzo/spinach/feta cold side salad on my blog, and I am happy to have another recipe for orzo, I love it!

Maria said...

I've never baked orzo,I will have to try it!

Jaime said...

i love feta! i want to try this!