Monday, May 25, 2009

Smoky Grilled Red Potato Salad

The only reason I ever hesitate to make potato salad is because of the time it takes to boil the potatoes. I feel like I sit there forever to wait for the water to boil, then wait the 15-20 minutes they take to cook, constantly testing if they are finished, then wait to cool and chop, etc. etc. So when I was thinking up a potato salad to bring to my parents' house this past weekend, I decided to go with grilled potatoes.

I spoke with my trusty grill expert (Chuck) and he said grilling potatoes was a snap and he would be happy to help me out. I am happy I did this because it gave the salad great flavor. The pictures don't really do it justice but combined with the barbeque sauce I used in the dressing, this was a delicious twist on the regular potato salad I usually make. Kind of like a delicious variation of a loaded baked potato - enjoy!

Smoky Grilled Red Potato Salad
from Colleen's Kitchen
Makes about 8 side dish servings

about 2 pounds red potatoes
olive oil
kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper
1 cup low fat mayo
1 tablespoon barbeque sauce (we like Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
2 ounces REAL Bacon Bits (1/2 of a 4-ounce bag)
1 cup coarsely shredded cheddar cheese

Thickly slice scrubbed potatoes and quarter each slice. Toss in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste and gently mix to combine.

Combine mayo, barbecue sauce, and salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.

Heat the grill to medium-high. Lay potatoes on a piece of non-stick foil and place directly on the grill. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning potatoes so that they cook evenly on both sides. You will know they are finished when they look golden-brown and crispy.

Transfer potatoes to the large bowl with mayo mixture. Gently toss until combined. Once the potatoes have cooled a little bit (so that cheese doesn't melt), add green onions, bacon bits, and cheese; mix again.

Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

18 comments:

Maria said...

Red potatoes are my favorite! Great salad!

BMK said...

I never thought of grilling the potatoes for potato salad! Great idea! The flavor combination sounds great too.

Meg said...

This was delicious! Thanks for leaving some at home!

Anonymous said...

these were GREAT!!
rwh

The Blonde Duck said...

How can you go wrong with red potatoes?

Donna-FFW said...

Love this variation, I saw it over at Coleens blog also and thought how wonderful. It looks so so very delicious.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Terrific potato salad. I like baking the potatoes too. Easier by far than boiling.
Sam

Kira said...

Grilling adds such a great flavor to things. This is a great idea.

Kristen616 said...

Wow awesome idea! This looks great...I'll definitely be trying it!

Pam said...

What a fantastic potato salad - it's a perfect addition to any meal.

Sara said...

I would have never thought to grill the potatoes, but it sounds like a great idea!

Taryn said...

hmm- delicious!

Thanks for your comment on my blog- to be honest, I did run out of the house first. I waited outside until Chris came home! = )

Katie Farmand said...

Great tip for grilling the potatoes! I think I could make a meal of this potato salad :)

Julie said...

Sounds delicious and different :)

Katie Farmand said...

Just browsing some random stuff online tonight, and I saw this... you should enter your delish potato salad! :) http://www.tasteofhome.com/Contests/Recipe-Contests/Sensational-Spuds/

Anonymous said...

This looks really good! Grilling the potatoes must add a ton of flavor!

Cara said...

Loved it! I even had emails from guys the next day asking for the recipe!

Cara said...

making this for about the 30th time and excited for people to try it tomorrow! It's so good!
Hope your summer is wonderful!