Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad

My friend Jenny makes this wonderful salad and as soon as I had some at her house, I needed the recipe! I really like it because you can use any kind of corn you would like. I used frozen, since I was making it quickly, but you can also boil or grill some fresh ears of corn and use the kernels from that. Canned corn will work also.

I love the lime taste in the dressing and I used olive oil instead of the vegetable oil that Jenny suggested since I prefer that taste in a dressing. If you are making this ahead of time, add the avocado right before serving or else it may turn brown. Enjoy this summer salad!

Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad
from Jenny :)
Makes about 4 side dish servings

10 ounces frozen corn, thawed completely
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 avocado, diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste

Combine corn, tomatoes, scallions in large bowl. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour over vegetables. Chill for 1-4 hours.

When ready to serve, add gently fold in avocado and allow salad to come to room temperature. Season again with salt and pepper if needed.

10 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles said...

YUM! I LOVE this salad! It's so colorful, how can you resist?

Ellie said...

This looks so colorful and fresh! I'm going to have to try it this summer!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

What a great alternative for the typical sides of pasta and potato salad. Love how refreshing this looks!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love how colorful this is!

Maria said...

I am loving this salad!

the happy family said...

i just had a friend ask me how to use up her avocados and corn before she went outta town and i suggested she make something similar to this - guess great minds think alike :)

Kira said...

I think I pretty much love anything with avocado in it. A winner!

Meg said...

Avocado!
Looks delish!

BMK said...

Beautiful colors! I love corn and black bean salad, I'll have try this one!

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh yum!