Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tipsy Chocolate-Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies

Well, ladies and gentlemen (well, the male readers of this blog probably consist of my father), today I conquered one of my fears - to ADAPT a BAKING recipe. Baking is such a precise skill that requires a lot of patience (something I don't often have a lot of) and knowledge of ingredients (working on it). BUT, I decided that I wanted to make a chocolate-raspberry thumbprint cookie and I wanted to make it up myself.

This recipe here is one I have made several times and really enjoyed; so I decided to work off of that one. I did a little more research on how to turn the cookie chocolate and voila, I had a new recipe. You can really use any flavor jam or preserves you want, just match your alcohol flavor accordingly. Also, I never just use two baking sheets when I am baking. I always have the next one or two ready; so as I write 2 baking sheets, know that the cookies will fill at least three, so prepare them as you wish.

I was really very pleased with how these turned out. They taste like a chocolate butter cookie and the thick jam really plays off the flavor nicely. Hope you enjoy them!

Tipsy Chocolate-Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies

from Colleen's kitchen
Makes about 40 cookies

1/2 cup raspberry jam or preserves
1 tablespoon raspberry or black-cherry flavored vodka
2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange the racks in oven so that one is in the top third and one is in the bottom third.

In small bowl, mix together jam and vodka. Set aside.

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.

In large bowl of electric mixer (if you don't have one just use a hand mixer), cream together butter and sugar until well-blended.

Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients in two batches, mixing on low until just combined.

Pinch off about 1 T. of dough and roll in your hands to form a ball. Place on cookie sheets. Use your thumb to create a well in the center of each ball. Fill indentation with about 1/2 t. of jam mixture.

Bake until the bottom edges are just about turning darker brown, about 15-20 minutes. If there are two cookie sheets in the oven, switch racks halfway through baking time.

Transfer to wire rack to cool. When storing cookies, make sure you put a piece of wax paper between each layer of cookies - that jam is sticky!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, girl!! THESE LOOK FABULOUS! My husbands FAVORITE flavors are chocolate and raspberry. TOTALLY stealing this recipe from you. And don't worry...I'll site ya! ;P

Mollie said...

Looks great! And yay for doing things that scare you in the kitchen. It's a good thing!