Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lighthouse Lasagna

My good friend Lauren is a busy mom of two little guys who works full-time and always seems to get dinner on the table for everyone. She is my hero! She posted this recipe on her blog recently and I thought, if Lauren can do it, then so can I! And I'm glad I did because it was really good. It kind of reminded me of this recipe with the scallions and cream cheese and pasta, but was also different enough that I will definitely be making both again.


Of course I wanted to make two pans of this so I could freeze one so I found myself stretching some of the ingredients and decided I would add more next time. I adjusted the amounts below so that you can make two pans as well. Chuck and I both enjoyed this a lot, the first time AND out of the freezer!

Lighthouse Lasagna
amounts adjusted from Lauren's Kitchen
Makes 10-12 servings

1 - 1 1/4 pounds ground meat
1 small can tomato paste
14 ounces tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of Kosher salt
12 ounces egg noodles
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 8x8 baking dishes or one 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.

Saute the meat in a large skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, breaking it up to crumble as it cooks. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and salt. Fill the tomato paste can with water and add it to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles, then return them to the pot and add the butter, stirring until melted.

In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, cream cheese, and scallions. Spread a little sauce and meat mixture in the bottom of (each) dish. Top with a layer of noodles, then spread half the sour cream mixture and half of the meat sauce (a quarter of each if you are using two baking dishes). Repeat the layers and top with shredded mozzarella.

Bake 35-40 minutes until lasagna mixture is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.

No comments: