Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spinach Couscous Salad

I had a few of my friends over with their kids for a playdate with Abbie and I wanted something light and simple for lunch. Something I could make and set out on the table and forget about while I chased my little munchkin around the room. :)

This recipe from Aggie's Kitchen fit the bill perfectly! Delicious, healthy, Greek-inspired flavors in a delicious salad that can be prepared in advance. If you are looking to make this into a heavier meal, you could even add some shredded chicken. I picked and chose from the ingredients Aggie used and those her friend used, which are reflected below.

Spinach Couscous Salad
Makes 4-6 main dish servings

1 (9-ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
1 box Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil, prepared according to package directions
1/4 red onion, diced
1 can (14-ounce) artichoke hearts, drained and diced (I forgot these but I think they would make a nice addition)
1/4 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
1 roasted red pepper, diced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)

In large bowl, combine all ingredients except couscous and feta cheese. Add couscous (can be warm or room temperature) and toss. Sprinkle feta cheese on top and gently combine. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Cara said...

I'm trying to clean out the fridge this week. Yesterday I had some spinach and some leftover couscous in the fridge and just dumped it together and wound up really liking it! I need to try this variation soon!