Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crockpot Orange Chicken

Another slow cooker meal! This may be the last for awhile since warm weather has arrived and I associate slow cookers with warm, comforting winter meals. Although maybe not if I find something I absolutely have to make!
As I was making this in my 4-quart slow cooker, I was thinking, "There is not nearly enough food in here, it is going to burn". And sure enough, the chicken got a little bit tough, so much so that Chuck asked "What kind of meat is this?" To properly cook food in a slow cooker, it should be one-half to two-thirds full or else the food will dry out and burn. So if you are going to make this I would suggest doubling or even tripling this recipe for a 4-quart slow cooker and the meat should turn out just right. I liked the flavor of this but if you don't like a strong orange taste, just decrease the amount of orange juice concentrate.

As you can see, I served this over brown rice and mixed it with some steamed broccoli. I didn't change anything from where I found this on Sweet Tea in Texas so here is the link:

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks yummy.

I have a tip for you when you have a recipe that calls for a smaller crockpot. I am so excited to tell you because it really works and I use this trick often! Just take a corning ware dish with a lid that fits in your crockpot and put the ingredients in there, cover with that lid and then cover the crockpot with a lid. Be very careful because the corning ware will get hot so you need to let it cool down in the crockpot. I have an oval dish that fits into my oval crockpot and it works great!

Hope this helps. :-)

Julie said...

The flavors sound great together! I have one of those oblong shaped crock pots, so things can seem to get lost in there if there's not a lot of it.

Sam said...

sure beats that cheap chinese place I've been going to lately...