Thursday, September 3, 2009

Asparagus Salad with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese

I finally joined the local library over the summer (after living here for 3 years) and have rediscovered what I used to love about it. I go in empty-handed and leave with arms full of books that I read voraciously - I can't get enough! A few weeks ago I realized that there are stacks and stacks of cookbooks there. Perfect! I can find most recipes I need on the internet these days, so I hate to spend money on a whole cookbook. So I take a few out at a time, get some ideas, and return them for more!

This recipe comes from Anna Pump's cookbook, Summer on a Plate. The book caught my eye because I know that Ina Garten often refers to Anna's store, Loaves and Fishes, in her own cookbooks.

The dressing here is amazing - it is very simple, but Chuck and I both loved it and we were sad when it was gone! And once it's combined with all the delicious vegetables, salty olives, and the creamy goat cheese, this was an excellent salad!

Asparagus Salad with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese
slightly adapted from Summer on a Plate
Makes 3-4 side dish servings

4 ounces roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
4 ounces baby spinach, washed and dried
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pitted black olives, cut in half (I used Kalamata)
3 ounces crumbled goat cheese

Dressing:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
5 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and coarst ground black pepper, to taste

Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until just tender but still green, 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.

Combine spinach, red onion, red pepper, and asparagus in large bowl.

Combine dressing ingredients in a jar that can be tightly sealed. Seal and shake well. Spoon half the dressing over salad. Mix gently to coat vegetables.

Before serving, sprinkle with olive and goat cheese. Serve extra dressing on the side.

5 comments:

BMK said...

This looks like a great salad. I like checking cookbooks out from the library too! The only bad part is having to return them!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That looks delicious - then again, whenever goat cheese in involved, it usually is!

The Blonde Duck said...

Looks great!

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm this sounds and looks like a really awesome salad! I love cheese in salads and I love cheese with other vegetables, and olives and mmm yummy!

Anonymous said...

ALLL my favorites!! I LOVE an arugula salad, ESPECIALY with goat cheese!