Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream

My parents gave me the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer for my birthday and I was eager to get started using it! I had always been afraid to try making ice cream because I thought it was a long and involved process; but it definitely wasn't. It's as simple as mixing the ingredients, chilling them, then mixing in the ice cream maker and freezing.


This was a lovely summer ice cream - light and fruity. The sour cream makes it taste a little bit like yogurt, but we really enjoyed it!

Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream
Makes about 1 pint

1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw and drain)
1/3 cup sugar, or more to taste
pinch of salt
grated zest and juice of 1/4 lemon, or more to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sour cream

Combine the blueberries, sugar, salt, lemon zest and juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the mixture boils and berries pop and soften, about 3 minutes.

Place the berry mixture in a blender and puree until mostly combined, about 1 minute. Add the heavy cream and sour cream and pulse to blend. Taste and add more lemon juice or sugar if you'd like.

Pour the custard into a bowl, and refrigerate until chilled.

Pour custard into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Pack ice cream into a container, cover, and freeze at least 2 hours, until firm enough to scoop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!! What a perfect first recipe! I love a tart ice cream/yogurt, ESPECIALLY blueberry. It looks great!!

BMK said...

Have fun with your new ice cream maker. I'm hoping to upgrade to the KA soon. We really liked this ice cream too-big surprise! My DS especially loved it but it did make a purple mess!

The Blonde Duck said...

Yum!

Anonymous said...

Those kitchenaid attachments are amazing...I love the ice cream maker, and I use the pasta roller attachments all the time! Ice cream looks fantastic.

the happy family said...

looks yummy. just another reason to get an ice cream maker!