Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Amazing Crumb Cake

We started calling this the "three-stick crumb cake" down the shore since that is how much butter is in the topping! This is totally worth the treat though, so if you can spare the calories, definitely make this! It's especially easy to make as well, since you use a cake mix for the base, and just have to mix a few ingredients together for the topping.

This recipe comes from my good friend Rita, who has provided me with several other yummy dishes. Enjoy a piece of this today!

(I apologize for the blue tint to the pictures. For some reason this is how my white balance set itself at the beach house!)

Amazing Crumb Cake
from Rita
Makes many servings (since you can't eat too much at once!)

Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 envelope Dream Whip (found in the baking aisle)
1 cup cold water

Topping:
3 sticks butter, melted
1 1 /3 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 x 17" jelly roll pan.

Mix all cake ingredients well, pour into prepared pan and bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven.

Meanwhile, mix together all topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over the partially baked cake. Bake another 10-15 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cake in for 15 more minutes.

Cool cake and sift powdered sugar over the top.

9 comments:

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm I LOVE crumb cake and those crumbs look gigantic and awesome.

Meg said...

3-sticks of deliciousness...couldn't get enough of it!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks so delicious. It is almost exact to one I have called heavy Crumb Cake.. on my blog. I love the crumb topping, it looks decadent!

The Blonde Duck said...

If it's got 3 sticks, you know it's good.

Colleen said...

@ Donna - The crumbs ARE the best part! I am sure it's one of those recipes that makes it's way around and everyone has their own version of!

elly said...

Well, with that much butter, it has to be good. I don't think you ever have "spare" calories for this kind of stuff...you just eat it anyway because it's so damn good. :)

Anonymous said...

OK - WOW!!! I've never seen a more deliciously topped crumb cake EVER! I need a piece, regardless of what my thighs think MMmmmmm!!!

amycaseycooks said...

We are crumb cake addicts in our house. We eat A LOT of it on our shore vacation but I do occasionally pick some up from our local bakery.

Thanks for the new recipe to try!!

Anonymous said...

3 sticks of butter?! I am sure it was worth every calorie!