Monday, March 9, 2009

Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas

I was actually looking for something to make on Ash Wednesday when I found this recipe (and yes, I am aware the gravy has chicken broth, I would have made it with vegetable broth). But then Ash Wednesday came and went with some other meal, and I still had all of the ingredients for this, so I ended up making it on a Monday, hoping I could pass it by Chuck without him realizing there was no meat in it. A few forkfuls into dinner, I made the announcement that it only had beans and rice and Chuck said he didn't even realize it was meatless! So that means success to me!

The chili gravy on these was a great flavor, not like any other sauce I have made before for enchiladas. The recipe below makes 2 cups, but you only need 1 1/2 cups. So I adjusted as I was cooking to only make what I needed. However, those measurements would have read something like "a little less than a 1/2 teaspoon of so-and-so", so I just wrote you the original. Additionally, beans, rice, and cheese combined to make a very tasty filling. There are about a million people (or four) to cite on this recipe so I am going to try my best here!

Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas
adapted from The Shannon's Kitchen, who modified it from Amber's Delectable Delights
Makes 6 enchiladas

1/2 cup chili gravy, recipe below
6 (10-inch) flour tortillas

2 cups brown rice cooked as directed
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup jalepeno peppers, finely chopped (can be from a can)
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (or any combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack)
1/2 cup sour cream

1 cup chili gravy, recipe below
1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, or other option

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread 1/2 cup chili gravy over the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish.

In a medium bowl, mix cooked rice, beans, jalapeno peppers, 1 cup cheese, and sour cream.

Lay each tortilla flat and fill with 1/2 cup of rice and bean mixture. (Microwaving the tortillas for 10-15 seconds helps with folding.) Fold top and bottom inward and fold the sides over. Lay seam side down in the prepared baking dish. (You may have some filling leftover.)

Repeat until all 6 tortillas are filled and top with 1 cup chili gravy and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

Cover the dish with foil at bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 5 minutes. Serve with extra sour cream and salsa, if desired

Chili Gravy
makes 2 cups

1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano is preferred)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups chicken broth

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.

Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add chicken broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens.

Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. If desired, add water to adjust the thickness.

13 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That chili gravy looks awesome and a great way to top your enchiladas!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! maybe I should make THESE tonight they look really good! You are SUCH a diva! ;)

Cara said...

I'm glad you included the part about passing it off without your husband noticing! That's my main worry about making meatless dinners--he thinks a meal's not a meal w/o meat. Great recipe I will have to try soon!

Donna-FFW said...

OMG!! That looks so delicious! I love the chili gravy on top. Awesome!!

Kira said...

I LOVE Homesick Texan's blog. This looks delicious.

Kristen616 said...

Oh that looks so good!!! Perfect for Friday nights...good to know your husband liked them as well! I'll have to try them, thanks!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Tex-Mex at its finest. I could eat the whole dish all by myself. You are making me homesick for Texas and I haven't been there in years. Great times there.
Sam

kathleen & tom said...

Yum! Looks great & I think I will be trying them!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've got to make these. Pronto.

Christy said...

Oh yum! These are definitely going on my menu! Looks delicious-thanks for sharing.

Shawna said...

YUM....these look great! I love Mexican!

test it comm said...

Those enchiladas look really tasty!

kathleen @ the lushers said...

I bookmarked these about a million years ago & finally got around to making them. YUM! That chili gravy is heavenly!