Thursday, November 20, 2008

Parmesan Crusted Salmon

When I ask Chuck if he has any requests for dinner, he usually just says that I can decide, since he knows I love coming up with menus. So when he told me this week that he would like salmon, I was determined to find something delicious! I decided I wanted to try out a crusted salmon, so I searched around and found this. Wow, it was worth it - this was great!

I halved everything except for the amount of onion since it was just for the two of us. The wine and teryaki marinade reduces down to give the salmon a delicious flavor and caramelizes the onion as well. The crust itself was a little disappointing though - I ended up crusting both sides, and by the time the fish had cooked through, it was not very crisp, nor was it golden brown. I would still recommend that you try it thoough - the parmesan and seasoned bread crumbs can only add to the flavor.
Oh, and make sure you have someone very willing to clean your pan, especially if you are using stainless steel. Just look at how nice and carmamelized the bottom of mine is!

I served this with brown rice and sauteed string beans and shallots.
Parmesan Crusted Salmon
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 teaspoon dried tarragon (I omitted)
1 teaspoon dill weed
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 cup chopped red onion (I suggest using one medium red onion)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 pounds salmon steaks

In a shallow, medium bowl mix Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, tarragon and dill.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, blend white wine, teriyaki sauce, butter, red onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender.

Press one side of each salmon steak into the Parmesan cheese mixture. (I breaded both sides.) Place steaks crust side up in saucepan with white wine mixture.
Cook over medium high heat until most of the liquid is reduced, 10 to 15 minutes, then flip with a spatula. Continue cooking until crust is golden brown and fish is easily flaked with a fork.

9 comments:

danielle leigh said...

that looks soooo good. can't wait to try it!

Maria said...

I am loving the crust on your salmon!

Darius T. Williams said...

This looks good - I would have totally breaded it and put a nice amount of oil in the pan so it wouldn't stick. Once I got it good and crusty on both sides I would have removed it and then caramelized everything else separately then did a drizzle over the top. Same concept, cleaner pans, and crispier fish...but I love this!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

test it comm said...

That looks like a tasty meal.

Jaime said...

mmmm that looks so delicious. nice way to cook salmon a little differently. next time you want to try something else, give the tomato basil salmon in my blog a try :)

Mollie said...

Starred! This looks great.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that. I need some good fish recipes.

nicole said...

I love salmon so I'm pretty sure this would be good.

Anonymous said...

Oooh! That looks soooo yummy!!