Monday, November 17, 2008

Gingerbread White Chocolate Blondies

Oh my. You must make these soon. Very soon. I was a little nervous about how they would turn out - would the gingerbread flavor be too strong? did I overbake them? etc. But they were DELICIOUS and got rave reviews from Michael, Kate, and Chuck so I know they were pretty good!

The original recipe says to bake on a 12x7 rimmed cookie sheet, but there was so much batter and I wasn't wild about baking on flat pan, so I used a 13x9 and it worked out well. This is originally a Martha Stewart recipe, so I was rolling my eyes at the fussy measurements; but in the end it was all worth it. If you even slightly enjoy any of these flavors, you need to try these now!

Gingerbread White Chocolate Blondies
slightly adapted from Dinner & Dessert
Makes about 24 bars (depending on how you cut them)

2 ¾ cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 ¼ cups (2 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cups packed light brown sugar
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 ¼ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1 ¾ cups white chocolate chips
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

Whisk together flour, soda, salt, and spices in a bowl.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars on medium-high speed until creamy and pale, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and yolk one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla and molasses and mix on medium speed until combined.

Add flour mixture on low speed until combined. Stir in white chocolate.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and bake until golden on edges and toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan; cut into 24 squares. Blondies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.

8 comments:

Maria said...

I just saw these in her new book and marked them. I think they sound really good! I am glad you tried them out!! Now I know they are a winner!

Anonymous said...

Whaaaaat!?!? Gingerbread!!!?? STARRED!

Melanie said...

What an unusual, outside-the-box blondie recipe. I love it! I am bookmarking for sure. I chuckled at your reference to MS's fussy measurements - so true, but on her recipes that actually work, it is worth it! Thanks for the yummy recipe.

priscilla joy said...

these look delicious, i need to try blondies - i think i've only had them about twice!

The Blonde Duck said...

I must make these this instant. Before the drool floods my kitchen.

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks good - really - I could go for this snack right now!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Mollie said...

These look awesome! What a great flavor combo.

Melanie said...

I've had my eye on these for a while and finally made them. They were fabulous! Such a hit with the company we had over. I'll post about them soon. Thanks!