Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jalapeno Popper Dip

This recipe caught my eye because it is super-easy to put together; and it gives you the taste of those fabulous little jalepeno poppers! The original recipe calls for microwaving the dip, which I was very against, because you don't get that "baked" feeling after three minutes in the microwave! So I suggest baking it in the oven until the cheese is melted.

And speaking of the cheese, as you can see by my picture below I actually used the "green can" Parmesan cheese for this (gasp!). I thought it would taste better than the finely grated block of Parm I have in my fridge, but there was just too much of it. So when you make this, I suggest freshly grating your cheese or just use shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack. Enjoy!

Jalapeno Popper Spread
slightly adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes enough to feed a crowd

2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup low fat mayonnaise
1 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
1/2 of 7.5-ounce can jalapeno peppers, drained and chopped
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or 1 cup shredded cheddar/Monterey Jack
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In large bowl, use a handheld mixer to blend cream cheese and mayo until smooth. Stir in green chiles and jalapeno peppers.

Spread into a 9-inch pie plate. Top with Parmesan or shredded cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.

6 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I'll have to try this recipe again with low fat mayo - looks delicious and I find it tastes better when preparing it in advance and then heating/baking the next day. The flavors really come together nicely with a nice kick of heat.

Melissa said...

I am going to have to try that!

Brooke said...

This is a cool idea! Different from all the standard dips - I'll have to add it to my list. And throw a party so I have an excuse to make it...

Jen said...

This looks so yummy. I'm going to make some this weekend for Hubby.

Aggie said...

I would love to try this dip! Looks great! Have fun with that new camera!

Bugaboo said...

This sounds really good. Can't wait to try!