Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Southwestern Steak Roll-Ups

No picture for this one (trust me, it wouldn't have been pretty anyway!) since it is a messy, yummy slow cooker meal that gets folded into a tortilla. I think I have mentioned before that my theory on the slow cooker is the less ingredients, the better. And this cookbook I have been using lately has a whole section of Five-Ingredient recipes. Perfect! I ask Chuck to pick one out while planning my weekly menu, and everything he has chosen has been great!

The original recipe called for a jalapeno pepper, but I was lazy and didn't want to deal with setting my hands on fire, so I opted for a can of green chilies instead. Use what you like!

Southwestern Steak Roll-Ups
slightly adapted from Cook Once, Eat Twice Slow Cooker Recipes
Makes 4 servings

1 (16-ounce) package frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables (yellow, green, and red peppers and onions)
1 - 1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak
1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, drained (I could only find stewed tomatoes with green peppers and onion)
1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
2 teaspoons chili powder
8 medium flour tortillas

Place frozen vegetables in a 3 1/2-4 quart slow cooker. Trim fat from steak and if necessary, cut to fit in cooker. Place steak on vegetables in cooker. In medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, green chilies, and chili powder. Pour over steak in cooker.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2-4 hours. Remove steak from cooker, shred with two forks, and return to cooker, stirring to coat.

Warm tortillas in microwave (about 15 seconds) and use a slotted spoon to place desired amount of filling in center of each one. Add toppings such as cheese, sour cream, etc. and roll up.

No comments: